Friday, August 27, 2010

Shadowbox Gallery

These are cigar box pet memorial boxes I made for friends. The Liam box is a combination of doll house furniture, scans from art books and photographs. The Spud box is scans, photos and antique bracketing from a Victorian glass dome unit. (See below for example.) I have another spare piece of the bracketing that will up for sale on RubyLogan.com after Sept.2.

Maybe I should start at the beginning-- I collect old stuff, and I'm always looking for ways to display it. (No sense leaving it in a drawer.)


This is one of the first ones I made, from a prepared box from Martha Stewart. The paper is pretty, but the box isn't very deep. Victorian photographs, scrap metal, doll house rug, Victorian china butterpat dish, calling cards and Victorian Mothers' pin.


Here's another in a craft store box. The butterfly theme is really pretty for a young girl. It includes buttons, jewelry, coins and other mementos.


This was made from a smaller cigar box, about 6" tall. I got the idea of using cigar and found boxes after seeing the Day of the Dead altars at the Folk Tree Gallery in Pasadena, Ca. Jesus has three levels of paper behind him for depth: two palm trees, columns, and, an extra layer on his hands. Jesus and Mary are from Victorian postcards, and the frame around Mary is a German Dresden coated with gilt wax to tone down the shine a little.

Who doesn't have Elvis and Beatles stuff just laying around the house? The Elvis box is made from a glass top cigar box, I'll have a few of those up for sale on RubyLogan.com soon. The Beatle Box is made from a pink backless box I found at a thrift store. Both Elvis and the Beatles use scans of pages from authentic teen magazines, and I'll have some of those available soon for your crafting needs.
Happy Antiquing, collecting, and crafting!

1 comment: